Halloween is just a few days away. To me, Halloween marks the beginning of the “holiday season.” When I say “holiday season,” what music plays in your head? Happy, happy music? Or the dum, dum, dum of dread? Some people LOVE holidays and traditions. Some people….not so much! If you are dreading the holidays….maybe even Halloween…there’s a way to keep from getting dragged down by the wave of despair: DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT!
The wilder and crazier, the better. But it doesn’t have to be, sometimes the smallest shift can make the biggest difference. Get creative and maybe even a little crazy! Here are some ideas to get your creative juices flowing:
- If you don’t normally dress up for Halloween, dress up.
- If you normally hand out candy, hand out glow sticks.
- If you dread having trick-or-treaters come to your home, go to the movies.
- If you normally bring a potato dish to thanksgiving, bring a dessert.
- If you don’t normally go anywhere for thanksgiving, find someplace to go…either a friend’s or Denny’s.
- If you hate sitting around with family at thanksgiving, bring a craft project for everyone. (Pinterest is a great inspiration.)
- If getting together with family is what you hate, go on a road trip instead.
- If you don’t decorate for Christmas, put up a few things.
- If you hate decorating for Christmas, don’t do it.
- If you don’t want to do Christmas, do Hanukkah or start your own tradition.
As you can see, these aren’t all that crazy. Or maybe you thought they were. But the idea is to come up with a little shift…a little detour….to keep from falling in the rabbit hole.
This works with anything in life, not just holidays. If it doesn’t work….shake it up….do something different!
Leave a Reply